Filing Your Tax Return as an International Student

Tax season is here and as an international student you are not exempt from the burden of filing your tax return. However, most international students and their dependents will find that filing their US tax return is fairly easy- especially if they did not receive any income.

The deadline to file is quickly approaching: April 15th, so let’s get started on how to begin the process of filing your US tax return.

The first step is to confirm if you’re considered a resident alien or non-resident alien for tax purposes. If you’re an international student on an F, J, M or Q visa and have been inside the US for less than five calendar years you are more than likely an non-resident alien. If you’re an international student on F, J, M or Q visa and have been inside the United for more than five calendar years you will probably fall under the category of resident alien unless you qualify for the closer connection exception.

Resident Aliens
If you are a resident alien you are able to find more information on what you need to file your tax return by visiting the IRS website.

Non-Resident Aliens
All non-resident aliens and their dependents will need to complete a Form 8843 and mail them in using separate envelopes. If you are a non-resident alien and received income (even scholarships or bank interest) you will have an additional form to complete: Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ. Many international students without dependents will be able to complete the 1040NR-EZ- simply first review the requirements you need to meet in order to complete this easier version of the 1040NR. If you meet the necessary criteria it’s suggested that you complete the 1040NR-EZ.

Form 8843 and 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ are fairly simply for most international students to complete depending on their situation. International students who have problems completing the necessary forms or are worried about completing them incorrectly always have the option of recruiting assistance.

A few options you will want to consider when searching for help include:
$ On campus resources
$$ Tax programs or software like Sprintax
$$$ Hiring a Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Keep in mind that for many of you who are filing your tax return as an international student it will be a simple process and can save you money by completing these documents yourself.

Related posts:

Video: Nate Sma@shed shikemi Yoruba Girl And Leak The Tape For Cheating On Him
My Name is Caroline Aka Slim Girl Watch My Nasty Tape
Studying Abroad- Top Ten (10) Best Schools In Italy

By admin on 28th January 2018 · Posted in Local Naija News

Be the first to post a comment.